Title: Dayton Progress Quality Manager
Reports to: Vice President and General Manager, Dayton Progress
Based at: Dayton, Ohio Facility
Job Purpose: Hands-on position providing leadership and direction in all Quality–related situations and Quality matters for the Dayton, Ohio facility.
Job Description: Employee will spearhead activities necessary to improve company Quality performance, specifically reduction of Scrap, reduction of Customer Returns, and production of parts that are right-the-first-time. This includes all activities necessary to meet both internal and external customer expectations. This also includes activities related to both the “hard” (machines, material, processes) and “soft” (man, method) sides of the business. Quality initiatives will start with analysis of data, input from members of the management team, Engineering, MPS, Customer Service, other departments, and employees in the shop. This is followed by true root cause analysis, then development and effective implementation of counter-measures. The employee will be required to determine if parts meets required Quality requirements. Employee will also be required to have an understanding of fundamental Quality principles, procedures, methods, measurement, tracking, and improvement. Their work also requires them to coordinate with management, employees, other departments, and customers as needed. This employee will also be responsible for all activities related to the company’s ISO-9001:2015 certification.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Must demonstrate an enthusiastic, hands-on approach to Quality improvement in all assigned facilities with a sense of urgency. This includes developing relationships necessary to achieve rapid results as it relates to incident investigation and related corrective actions. Also includes the ability to be a change agent, appropriately resolving unacceptable situations.
- Must demonstrate the organizational and follow-up skills necessary to achieve effective results and complete all past corrective actions and plans for future improvements.
- Must demonstrate the ability to develop and implement programs and activities necessary to improve Quality. This includes development and implementation of required training.
- Make plans and execute as needed in order to achieve targets and goals included in company FY Business Plans, Budgets, and other activities, specifically targets for Quality (Q) and Cost (C).
- Understand company Quality performance through regular review of related KPIs. Recommend corrective actions as needed, then develop, execute, and monitor improvement plans as needed.
- Take the lead in investigations related to Quality problems, both internal and external. Work with Manufacturing and Engineering to develop counter-measures (hard and soft), plans, schedules and respond to customers as needed.
- Follow up to insure that counter-measures are in-place, understood and functioning effectively.
- Act as point of contact for customers whenever necessary; maintain high level of responsiveness.
- Provide Quality information by compiling, sorting, and analyzing records and data; answering questions and responding to requests, both internal and external.
- Develop and maintain Quality systems, procedures, and tracking as needed.
- Plan and execute all tasks and activities necessary to maintain the company’s ISO-9001:2015 certification. This includes calibration, internal auditing, and upgrading the certification to the new 2015 standard.
- Maintain records, prepare reports, and compose correspondence relative to the work.
- Perform work as assigned and follow company policies and procedures.
- Balance work activities to achieve positive, effective results. Work to continuously improve in all areas.
- Interact with and support activities on all shifts as needed.
- Manage performance measures and provide regular progress reports regarding plans, goals, projects, etc.
Other Job Skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize work to in order to meet expectations and deadlines.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision; act as a self-starter.
- Above average computer skills including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, and Power Point) and mainframe-based software (ERP and other database programs containing Quality and other data).
- Above average analytical capability (graphical, statistical, visual, and other methods).
- Knowledge of 5-Principles analysis (also called 5-Why analysis), FMEA.
- Knowledge of ISO-9001:2015 including system requirements, documentation, audits, calibration, etc.
- Experience in project management including situation analysis, setting goals, activity planning and scheduling, tracking activity status (plan vs. actual), tracking project effectiveness through metrics, reporting, etc.
- Above average communication skills, both written and verbal; includes reporting, presentations, email, meeting facilitation, etc.
- Experience in development and tracking of Quality KPI’s including appropriate trigger points that indicate when and what corrective and other actions are required based on results.
- Ability to prepare reports, procedures, and training for employees at all levels.
- Ability to interact appropriately and effectively with superiors, peers, subordinates, and customers.
- Ability to understand and interpret blueprints, sketches, or other descriptions of parts to be fabricated, and to determine if a part meets required Quality criteria.
- Considerable knowledge of methods related to inspection and containment.
- Some knowledge of precision machining operations.
- Understanding and experience in operation of precision measuring devices (scales, calipers, gages, CMM, Comparators, Hommel, etc.) including interpretation of results.
Requirements: Must have at least five or more years of progressive, hands-on Quality Management experience within an industrial manufacturing facility. Must be a driven, highly-motivated individual with an attention to detail and have strong organizational skills. Strong written and verbal communication skills is a must. Ability to work effectively alone and prioritize projects is essential. The position will require 10-15% travel.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree preferred; Associates Degree minimum with 3-5 years’ experience in Management of Manufacturing Quality systems and improvement.
Note: At times, weekend work may be required to accomplish all tasks on-time and/or to complete work related to competing priorities.
Privacy Notice for California Residents