- Dayton, OH
Reports to: Dayton Progress Director of Engineering and Continuous Improvement
Based at: Dayton, OH facility
Leading international manufacturer of tools and tooling components for the metal stamping and plastic molding industries has an opening for a degreed Manufacturing Engineer.
Job Purpose: This position will be responsible for designing, implementing, supporting, and improving manufacturing processes in a machining environment.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Prepare capital expenditure requests, including financial justification and presentation to management.
- Implement capital equipment and facilities projects within budget and time constraints, including development of detailed project plans and schedules as well as designs for equipment layout, product workflow, and maximum utilization of workspace.
- Work with suppliers and internal resources to design and improve machining processes, both for existing product lines and for new product introductions.
- Design and coordinate fabrication of fixturing, gaging, and tooling for new and existing processes.
- Work with global company locations to share and adopt best-practice processes and methods, including transfer of turnkey processes.
- Provide technical support to ongoing production operations at Dayton, Ohio plant, as well as at other company locations as needed (processes include conventional and CNC turning, milling, drilling, grinding, and EDM).
- Utilize Lean Manufacturing and other Continuous Improvement concepts, including 5S, Standard Work, and SMED to eliminate waste and reduce product cost.
- Direct and/or oversee all assigned projects and other activities, taking an enthusiastic, hands-on role to planning, execution, and follow-up.
- Must be willing to problem solve in a production environment
- Analyze and process Engineering Change Requests / Notifications and employee suggestions.
- When planning for, setting up, and starting up new equipment and processes, work with Manufacturing, Continuous Improvement Group, and Quality to develop a fully engineered process with consideration for all aspects of processes and methods, maximizing results for Quality, Cost, and Time.
- Minimum of BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or similar technical discipline.
- 3+ years of strong, proven, shop floor experience in a machining environment.
- Direct experience with CNC machining equipment.
- AutoCad, Siemens NX, or similar CAD/CAM experience is a required.
- Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, and strong analytical capabilities required.
- Must be willing to travel occasionally to Asia for extended periods (total travel <10%).
- Japanese language skills are a plus.
- Experience with Kaizen and other Continuous Improvement techniques is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- CNC machine programming experience is a plus.
- Must demonstrate enthusiasm, passion, and a sense of urgency along with strong interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Management will assign other job responsibilities as required and as appropriate to the position.
- At times, weekend work may be required to accomplish all tasks on-time and/or to complete work related to competing priorities.